Do you need to enhance your crosswalk with LED systems?
The first question you likely have is, “does my crosswalk need LED lighting?” The answer is not always simple and can vary depending on the situation. Of course, budget is almost always a concern, but any form of enhancement is better than nothing. Even a low-cost solution can benefit most crosswalk applications.
The four main factors used to determine crosswalk treatment recommendations are:
- Number of roadway lanes.
- Vehicle traffic speed.
- ADT (Average Daily Traffic), meaning how many vehicles pass through the crosswalk in a day.
- The presence of a median.
As you may have guessed, the lower the number of roadway lanes, vehicle traffic speed and ADT, the lower risk your crosswalk is to pedestrians. The addition of a median also helps to decrease pedestrian accident risk.
What else do I need to think of before researching flashing LED crosswalk enhancements?
In addition to the four main factors listed above, consideration must be made for other factors, such as:
- Is the crosswalk in close proximity to a pedestrian generator such as a bus stop, school, park or hospital?
- How many pedestrians are using the crosswalk every day?
- Where is the nearest marked crosswalk?
The flowchart below highlights some of the considerations you should make prior to choosing a crosswalk treatment.